I got attached to Santiago.
From the boy he was, to the man he became. I was part of it all, every step of his journey. You can sense the maturity changes in the protagonist as the book progresses. As a reader, I felt a part of every process.
Through magic interpretations and insightful metaphors, there are bits of life lessons and knowledge of phases that one has to go through in order to become who they believe they are, and part of these are probably taken out of Paulo Coelho’s life himself.
Santiago can be anybody, with persistence and determination to follow their dreams. Whoever you are, and wherever you come from, your life is a manifestation of your heart and mind.
I liked the book because it was anything, but predictable.
The reason I started reading it was because of the hype around it. Every person who reads books, seemed to have it on their reading list. I didn’t even know what to expect when I started reading it. I was curious; and the book did not let down.
On almost reaching the end, I stalled a bit, just wanting it to last a little longer. Look how far we have come, Santiago.
I would say though, with all the metaphors in the book, I expected the treasure to be purely metaphorical as well. Something deep and insightful. Something priceless. However, at the end of the day, it was purely materialistic. I still have contradicting thoughts about that.
I did find the ending to be a bit rushed, but overall, it was a great read.
Takeaways from the book;
- Sometimes, in order to see the value of where you’re from, the treasures hidden there, one needs to travel and see and learn of other places and of strange lands with its own treasures. Only when one’s heart and soul is renewed, would they be able to learn from all they have seen, the hidden treasures at their doorsteps.
- Open your heart, far and wide. Open your soul to the soul of the world, so that you may be open to love. To seek a soulmate, one needs to open their own heart first.
- Seek magic and you shall find it.
- Listen to your heart
- Maktub. Everything is written, and we are all interconnected.
- No matter what. Don’t stop believing.
- No matter who you are. Don’t stop believing.
- Believe in yourself and the hand that created you and in everything that surrounds you. Learn, from people you meet, but move on when you have to, with a clear heart. Move on and never look back.
- Take yourself seriously. Even when the rest of the world doesn’t
He had to choose between something he had become accustomed to and something he wanted to have – The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho